The best things in life are worth sharing and that includes old blog posts.
Just because you’ve shared them once months ago… even a few years ago, doesn’t mean they aren’t relevant today. It’s a good idea to go back and revisit your posts. You may find that one or more of them is well worth re-sharing right now, or it needs an update or you may need to start another blog about the same subject matter and refer back to the original blog post (linking it back).
Here are a few things you can do to breathe life in to those old blog posts:
- Start another blog about the same subject matter and link back to the old blog post.
- Is the content still relevant? Are people still talking about it? If so, it’s worth re-sharing.
- Did you have a Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest account? If you didn’t have one or more of those, you can share the old posts there.
- Check the dates? How many Facebook Friends or Likes did you have back then? How many Twitter Followers did you have? It’s a good chance that you have more now than you did then. It’s worth re-sharing.
- If you blog tips, instructional guides or tutorials – are they still the best tips and tutorials on that subject? Or have you found another way that’s even better. Create a new tip or tutorial linking back to the old, but let the users know that this blog post is an “updated” version.
Just think how many new followers or likes you have today that you didn’t have when you shared your posts the first time.Just because they're old, doesn't mean they don't have value. Click To Tweet
The “Revive Old Post” Plugin (formerly Tweet Old Post) is a nice way to revive and share old posts to get more traffic. The other thing I like about this plugin is that you can exclude blog posts that may no longer be relevant. You can choose the time between posts, the number of posts to share and use hashtags to focus on topics.
Developed by CodeInWP.com, you can download the free version from the WordPress Plugin Repository.